Kunstraum Dornbirn was founded in 1987 as a private association with the aim of presenting and communicating contemporary art. Since 2003, the exhibitions in the historic assembly hall of the former Rüschwerke machine factory in the Dornbirn Municipal Gardens have afforded superb conditions for the presentation of largescale installations. The raw quality of the original architecture provides an ideal space for exhibiting current trends in international art. A maximum of four exhibitions per year are devoted to showing both established, internationally renowned and new, up-and-coming artists.
30 x 14 m, height 11,15 m, total area 440 m², exhibition space ca. 350 m²
accessible for trucks and larger vehicles (gate dimensions 5,9 x 4 m)
Single paned windows (room atmosphere reacts quickly to outside weather changes). The hall is not heatable.
“Rüschwerke” was a Dornbirn company that specialized in the production of turbines in the 1890s. In 1893 the company constructed a large brick assembly hall to accommodate the assembly of the ever-larger turbine wheels with the equally large mechanical components. The company closed in 1984.
In 1999/2000 it was decided to remodel the industrial site, however, important buildings from Rüschwerke’s prime production period, such as the assembly hall were left unchanged. An international landscaping competition was also held at this time, which led to the creation of the “Stadtgarten”, a municipal park in which the inatura museum and the Kunstraum Dornbirn are situated.
Managing Board Members
Dr. Gerald A. Matt (President)
Kunstraum Dornbirn was founded in 1987 as a private non-profit organisation.
Since 2003 situated in the historic assembly hall.
Kunstraum Dornbirn is mainly supported by the municipality of Dornbirn, as well as the province of Vorarlberg and the Republic of Austria.